At 17:40 the GFC was dispatched to the report of an oven fire on Peters Road in Greenfields. Also responding was Reading Fire Engine 7.
Upon arrival the responding firefighters found that an occupant in the residence had managed to extinguish a fire in the kitchen’s oven using a dry chemical fire extinguisher. The occupant then called 911 and evacuated all residents from the structure.
Responding fire personnel inspected the residence for any fire extension. Finding none it was determined that the fire had been limited to the interior of the oven. There was no damage to the structure by fire or smoke, and it was declared safe for occupancy by Chief Brian Fisher.
It should be noted that the residents were wise to have a fire extinguisher handy in the kitchen. They were even wiser for calling 911 and evacuating the structure, even though the fire appeared to be out.
Those responding for the GFC were:
Chief Brian Fisher
FF Mahlon Auker
FF Ryan Noll
Photographer Steve Spies