At 20:15 the GFC was dispatched to the report of a dryer on fire on Curtis Ave. in Greenfields. Also responding were Wyomissing Co. 79, West Reading Co. 64, Mt. Pleasant Co. 30, Temple Co. 11, Goodwill Co, 10, Township of Spring Co. 85, Western Berks Co. 85, and the Bern Township Fire Police.
Upon arrival the GFC found that Co. 37 firefighter Kyle Strause, who lives in the neighborhood, had responded from home and had managed to extinguish the fire with a dry chemical fire extinguisher.
The GFC crew, with the assistance of Co. 79, set up ventilation apparatus to clear the smoke from the attached laundry room. FF Kyle Strause and FF Mahlon Auker removed the dryer from the laundry room. Smoke was confined to the laundry room and no smoke had entered the dwelling area of the home. There was no damage done to the structure.
The resident’s pet cat was found in the smoke filled laundry room and was rescued by FF Mahlon Auker. The cat appeared to be unharmed, and no residents were injured.
The cause of the fire appeared to be caused by a build-up of lint in the dryer’s vent.
Bern Township Fire Police detoured traffic around Curtis Ave. until the incident was concluded.
Those responding for the GFC were:
Chief Brian Fisher
Deputy Chief Eric Thrush
Capt, Joe Stoudt
FFs Dylan Matz, Dalton Noll, Dylan Noll, and Scott Trate
Fire Police Lt. Dylan Heckman
Fire Police Patrolman Jeff Allen
Photographer Steve Spies