With cold weather arriving this winter, those of us who have fire places and wood stoves will want to fire them up (pun intended) for some extra or primary home heating, or just for the atmosphere of a cozy fire. But before you do make sure your chimney is clean, and in good condition.
Every year at the onset of cold weather the GFC receives numerous dispatches for chimney fires. Most of these calls would not have been necessary if the chimneys involved had been properly maintained. Built up creosote in your fireplace or wood burning stove’s chimney can catch fire and cause serious damage to your home. Many times a chimney fire can smolder unnoticed until it’s too late. Having your chimney inspected and cleaned by a certified chimney sweep service can prevent a chimney fire. A few dollars spent for this service can prevent thousands of dollars in damage to your home, and may even save your life.
If you hear a roaring noise, or your fireplace or wood burning stove is drawing unusably hard you may have a chimney fire. Check for flames or unusual smoke coming out of the flue. If you discover that you have a chimney fire DON’T TRY TO PUT IT OUT YOURSELF! CALL 911! Firefighters have the training and the tools to extinguish these fires safely.
Remember, proper maintenance can prevent a chimney fire. A chimney fire can cause damage to, and possibly destroy your home.
Below are some pictures of chimney fires that have occurred in Bern Township: