On Wednesday, April 6th @ 23:14, the GFC received a dispatch to a reported structure fire on the 100 block of Colonial Manor Court. The fire was soon afterward reclassified a chimney fire. Dispatched in addition to the GFC were: Township of Spring Co. 85, Leesport Co. 37, Mt. Pleasant Co. 30, Temple Co. 11, Bernville Co. 29, Western Berks Co. 18, Goodwill Co. 10, and Schuylkill Valley EMS.
Upon arrival, GFC was informed that the homeowner had used a “Chimfex Fire Suppression Toss in Stick” to extinguish the fire in the chimney’s flue. These sticks are like road flairs, except they emit a chemical that, when lit, smothers the oxygen in the flue, thus extinguishing the fire.
Fire crews on scene proceeded to empty the firebox and remove the chimney cap. Using visual inspection of the flue, and a thermal imaging camera to check for any fire extension, it was determined that further fire danger no longer existed.
The homeowner was advised to contact a certified chimney specialist and have the flue cleaned and inspected.
Fire crews were released around 00:30.
The cause of the fire was a build-up of creosote in the chimney’s flue.
Those responding for the GFC were:
Deputy Chief Mahlon Auker
Assistant Chief Terry Royce
FF Eric Thrush
FF Ryan Noll
FF Cullen Wright
FF Jordan Miller
FF Dylan Heckman
Jr. FF Dylan Matz
Fire Police Capt. Charlie Kerschner
Photographer Steve Spies